Further to the issuance of the FAA Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB): CE-10-08, Zenith Aircraft Company advises all owners of Zodiac CH 601 XL and CH 650 aircraft to follow the recommendations contained in the SAIB.
EAA reports that “the FAA’s investigation, done in cooperation with the aircraft manufacturer, uncovered areas of concern… As a result, the FAA is strongly recommending that owners and operators of Zodiac CH601XL and CH650 aircraft comply with actions outlined in a forthcoming safety directive/alert to address those concerns. The FAA is urging that the aircraft not be flown until the maintenance is completed.”
AMD, manufacturer of the Zodiac CH 601 XL S-LSA (factory-built aircraft), issued a Safety Alert / Safety Directive (November 7, 2009) which outlines procedures required to resume normal operations (prior to the July 7, 2009 Letter from Chris Heintz limitations), including upgrades detailed on Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, 6-ZU-3 and 6-ZU-4, and LAA Aileron Balance (these latest revised drawings are dated January 25, 2010). The FAA SAIB document recommends that all owners comply to the AMD Safety Alert / Safety Directive before further flight.
We have drafted the following Document396). An Upgrade Package is available to all builders and owners of kit versions of the aircraft, and includes detailed drawings and step-by-step installation instructions.
For more information, please contact the Zenith Aircraft Company.
– Flight test report of upgrade Zodiac CH 601 XL B by Steve Flattum (posted July 7, 2010)
– Aero-TV Video Clip: Zenair’s Mathieu Heintz discusses the Zodiac CH601XL upgrade package… (from the Sebring LSA show in 1/2010).
– Follow along as Zenith Aircraft Company installed and completed the Upgrade Package kit installation to the factory demonstrator Zodiac CH 601 XL. New flying video.
– Applicability: The AMD Safety Alert is to be used for all CH 601 XL / CH 650 aircraft with a gross weight of more than 475 kg. (1,050 lbs), including Canadian Advanced Ultralights (AULA) aircraft.
– European builders and owners: See http://www.zenairulm.com for continued airworthiness updates.
– Updated Zodiac series Checklist: a 601XL-PRE-FLIGHT-INSPECTION-Feb-2010 55-page checklist to help you thoroughly preflight your aircraft (February 2010 Rev 2).
– We are committed to working with all builders and owners so that they may resume building and operating their aircraft by incorporating the updates at minimal cost and inconvenience.
We ask for the full cooperation of all builders, owners and pilots with this important information, and we thank them for their continued support through this difficult time.
This web site is published strictly for informational purposes. It is maintained to provide a forum for exchanging information about Zenair designs. Any pictures, diagrams, drawings or graphs, are used for general identification only, and are not to be taken to represent technical drawings or replicas of exact parts. You should not consider the educational material in the web site to be the practice of general aviation.
This site is not intended to replace, substitute for or supersede any technical information contained in the drawings, any Federal Aviation Administration regulations, or the manufacturer’s manuals.< Neither Zenith Aircraft Company (ZAC) nor the authors guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information published herein and neither ZAC or any other authors shall be responsible for any errors, omissions, or damages arising out of use of this information. This site is offered with the understanding that ZAC and any other authors are supplying information but are not attempting to render engineering or other professional services. If such services are required, the assistance of an appropriate professional should be sought. These statements are to be considered disclaimers of responsibility from anything published here.